Walker’s Auto Salvage plays an important role in protecting our environment. Here are some interesting facts about metal recycling:
- American consumers and industry throw away enough aluminum to rebuild our entire commercial air fleet every three months.
- American consumers throw away enough iron and steel to continuously supply all the nation’s automakers.
- Much of aluminum’s recycle value comes from the energy saved when making aluminum from recycled material: it requires 95% less energy than making it from bauxite, the primary ore.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to listen to a full album on your iPod. Recycling 100 cans could light your bedroom for two whole weeks
- Recycling aluminum cans saves 95% of the energy used to make alum cans from new material.
- Every three months, Americans throw enough aluminum in the landfills to build our nation’s entire commercial air fleet.
- Every ton of steel recycled saves 2,500 pounds of iron ore, 1,400 pounds of coal, and 120 pounds of limestone.
- Recycled steel is used to make new steel products including packaging, cars, lawnmowers, appliances, and construction materials. All new steel products contain at least some recycled steel.
- Making new steel products from recycled steel instead of virgin ore reduces water use by 40%, water pollution by 76%, air pollution by 86%, and mining wastes by 97%.
- It takes four times more energy to make steel from virgin ore than from recycled steel.
- Enough energy is saved each year by recycling steel to supply the city of Los Angeles with almost a decade worth of electricity.
- Metal recycling is good business! The Auto scrap recycling business employs 40,000 people at more than 7,000 businesses in the United States alone.